Learning Goals for Chemistry Majors
Completion of the Chemistry major signifies that students have met certain requirements of the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, and more generally, of the School of Arts and Sciences and the University. Specifically, students who have majored in Chemistry
1. have demonstrated mastery of the body of knowledge specified by the core curriculum in their coursework.
2. are able to apply what they have learned to problems in chemistry that require the evaluation of the scientific literature and the design of studies to test hypotheses.
3. have demonstrated an ability to use quantitative methods, both analytical and statistical, for modeling and interpreting the behavior of chemical systems.
4. are familiar with the basic experimental methods of organic, inorganic, analytical, and physical chemistry.
5. can communicate clearly, both orally and in writing, the methods used in chemical scholarship and research and the results obtained with them.